söndag 8 juli 2018

Dawn - Nær Sólen Gar Niþer For Evogher (1994) and Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy) (1998)


Two classic albums and the only full length albums by the amazing Swedish band Dawn. Their debut Nær Sólen Gar Niþer For Evogher from 1994 on a orange vinyl reissue from last year limited to 100 copies and the one on top Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy) from 1998 on a red vinyl reissue from last year limited to 100 copies. Both released on Century Media but were originally released on CD by Necropolis Records there was a promo ad (see picture further down) I scanned from an old magazine I own for Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy) to be released on LP in 500 copies with a poster but that never happened.

Dawn started in 1990 and recorded 3 demos before being signed. Vocalist Henke Forss and guitarist Fredrik Söderberg are probably the most notable members in the scene. Henke Forss was also in another rather known band that also was signed to Necropolis Records called Niden Div. 187 he was also a session vocalist on the only In Flames release that I can stand listening to Subterranean (1995). Both Henke and Fredrik has also been involved with a bunch of other bands. 

The debut Nær Sólen Gar Niþer For Evogher was recorded with Dan Swanö in the legendary Unisound Studio aka. Hellspawn Studios located in Finspång, Sweden.

All music was composed by Fredrik except As the Tears Fall and Everflaming that was written together with Henke and guitarist Andreas Fullmestad. 

Actually Shamaatae from the outstanding band Arckanum translated 2 of the lyrics Ginom Renande Lughier and Svarter Skiner Sólen into ancient Swedish the album title Nær Sólen Gar Niþer For Evogher is also in this language.

An amazing debut that in the mid 90’s actually didn't caught my ears. It wasn’t until a few years later I got into Dawn, despite they had so many things going for them that I appreciate like being a Swedish band, a Dan Swanö recorded album and a Necropolis Records release.

Remember listening to Nær Sólen Gar Niþer For Evogher at my local record store. I didn’t buy it then although I enjoyed their aggressive melodic Death Metal. But it was a genre where it was really hard to stand out especially in Sweden during those years. So I passed on it and none of my friends were into them.

The 15 year old me was of course totally wrong at the time I cannot believe that I didn’t buy the CD right then and there now. But being 15 years at the time and with many other amazing albums being released that year. Or the fact there was other older albums that I didn’t own so one had to prioritize on which albums to get.

During those years 1994-1999 Necropolis released so many classic albums. Many Swedish bands like Nifelheim, Dissection, Ophthalamia, Arckanum, The Black, War, Triumphator and of course Dawn just to name a few of my favorites that was released by them and I probably forgotten someone.

Between the two albums Dawn had released a 4-song EP called Sorgh på Svarte Vingar Fløgh in 1996 on CD they had really progressed more on that one.

My absolute favorite Dawn release however is their second album Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy) from 1998 that one I bought the year it was released without hesitation. One can definitely hear a progression to the more aggressive and extreme.

I know it sometimes can sound like I'm dissing Peter Tägtgren but I think he has recorded so many timeless classic albums. This is one example when I do prefer a The Abyss Studio recording and production over a Dan Swanö one. Those occasions are rare but they do happen.

On the album Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy) they definitely got to another level and had grown very much as songwriters since the debut. The band performances and also Henke Forss is outstanding. I wouldn’t describe Dawn as a Black Metal band but the influence is there on this album but still a melodic Death Metal feel to it.

A chronicle at Hatpastorns Likpredikan blog you can read here I highly recommend for everyone. It's in Swedish but with Google Translate you should get at least the core of the subject. It's basically about how many bands that in the 90's considered to be melodic Death Metal nowadays is seen as Black Metal. I'm guilty of it as well because at core a band like Dawn or Naglfar, Sacramentum, Unanimated etc. wasn't Black Metal in my book back in the day or now. I'm getting off-topic and sidetracked but read the text it's one of the best ones I've read in a very long time.

In my opinion both albums and the EP are essential to own. But if I could only have one my pick would be Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy) for sure.

I really think that Dawn should have had a much more successful story then they got. Had they been on a bigger label like Nuclear Blast; Century Media or even Osmose Productions my believe is that they would have gotten that.

Dawn haven't released any new material since 1998 but they are still considered active. Only Henke and Fredrik remains in the lineup but with the drummer Tomas Asklund (Gorgoroth, ex. Dissection, Dark Funeral etc.) an album called The Fourfold Furnace was announced in 2003 but was never released. Then in 2008 they once again said that it would be released clearly that never happened.

There’s talk about a new album being in the works according to the Dawn official Facebook page. Let us hope so 20 years since Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy) now so it’s about time!


Promo ad by Necropolis Records from 1998 that I scanned from a magazine I own. Where they mention a LP release with a poster limited to 500 copies that never got released.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar