lördag 20 oktober 2018

BEHEMOTH - I LOVED YOU AT YOUR DARKEST (2018)

The 2 x picture disc vinyl release on Nuclear Blast that also comes with a very impressive looking 24-page booklet. Just like the new Immortal and Marduk albums this was available in approx 20+ different versions if one includes the CD's. Really enjoy this though the vinyls all have an amazing design

Admittedly when I first heard about and listened to Behemoth in the late 90's I wasn't at all into them. Had every opportunity back then to discover them, however there were simply too many other amazing bands I was into by then. But I've always appreciated Behemoth's promo videos both for the music and their amazing visual esthetic.

Vocalist/guitarist Nergal is very charismatic with a impressive personality. He's also the only member that remains of this Polish beast since they started in 1991 when they were called Baphomet but changed it to Behemoth that same year.

His real name is Adam Darski got the official autobiography that's called Confessions Of A Heretic: The Sacred And The Profane: Behemoth And Beyond. I'll read through it one day. Maybe should be doing that instead of writing about a bunch of albums...

Wasn't actually until quite recently that I really got into Behemoth with their masterpiece of an album The Satanist (2014). So I was really looking forward to hearing this new one. It didn't disappoint! In fact my list of best records of 2018 just got even harder. I'm not complaining though but the top-9 that was planned might've to be a top-12 or even more.

I could imagine that many see Behemoth as another version of other popular bands with a great visual image also having a budget too afford it. While those other bands (you probably know which?) just rely on their image and past glory Behemoth has the music and can stand proudly. Because they are still after 27 years supremely creative.

Feels bad that I missed out on many of their previous albums although for my taste I really think that I Loved You At Your Darkest and The Satanist are their best work thus far. This one being the bands 11th full length studio album. There's been a ton of album, live, demo reissue, EP, DVD and compilation releases. A collectors dream! Maybe nightmare?

However I'm very selective when it comes to Behemoth and don't consider all other albums as good as those two albums I just mentioned. Know that someone will probably say that they peaked x many years ago and that the best album is Satanica (1999); Demigod (2004); Grom (1996); Sventevith (Storming Near the Baltic) (1995) or some demo reissue. Believe me Behemoth are in their prime at the time.

Let's finally get into I Loved You At Your Darkest. It's not like they changed their formula much since the previous album. In interviews it's all this talk about the children's choir and when they use them it does add another element to the music.

My favorite song by Behemoth is quite predictable O Father O Satan O Sun! from The Satanist.

None of these ones reach that status but that's a hard one to compete with. They do come close with some though.

However the album is a whole experience. This is NOT a record that you want to skip any songs on, some of my favorites in no particular order: Sabbath Mater; Ecclesia Diabolica Catholica; Coagula; Solve; Havohej Pantocrator; Rom 5:8 could babble on with the rest.

The 3 songs that they've made promo videos for on this album are all great especially the excellent Wolves Ov Siberia. The first one they released God = Dog is for my taste the weakest of the videos.

So I was needlessly worried that the album wouldn't deliver when it was going to be released. Bartzabel is also great but I can think of better songs on I Loved You At Your Darkest.

Although I've never cared what other people think about bands or albums that I enjoy. The rating over on Metal Archives is now at 60%... Fuck off with that! Hmm top-5 maybe even higher? Because this is a must have album of this year!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar