söndag 3 februari 2019

MARDUK - WARSCHAU (2005)

On a reissue gold double vinyl that comes with a poster to limited 200 copies released on Century Media in 2018.

I also included the cover variant that's on the slipcase from the 2005 CD. It's the same image inside the gatefold but that one is slightly altered. I really enjoy the design of this vinyl release.

It’s been awhile since I posted something on Marduk have owned this record for months now so it’s about damn time to write about it. Have been caught up in the music by Bathory for quite some time now.

This release was done to celebrate the 15th anniversary of Marduk. Since Mortuus/Arioch had joined and Devo had returned to the band this were their 3rd release.

Warschau is in my opinion the very best Marduk live album. If I was to rate it among my favorite Black Metal live records of all time it would be very high up there. Definitely a top-3 worthy release.

What makes it special is the unfiltered, raw, harsh recording. While Live In Germania (1997) felt like it had quite many things rerecorded in the studio.

The songs are of course very important whenever a band releases a live record. Already 15 years ago when this was recorded Marduk had released 9 studio albums and a bunch of EP’s. So there’s a lot to choose from.
Great to hear Mortuus do vocals on 5 of the old classics from when Andreas Axelsson (1990-93) and Joakim Af Gravf (1993-95)  were vocalists. The songs are pretty predictable though:
  • The Black...
  • Burn My Coffin
  • On Darkned Wings
  • Wolves
  • Sulphur Souls
Also the 6 ones from the Legion era, the 3 last are from World Funeral (2003). I don't mind that at all even if I rate it their 3rd "worst" album I also rate it maybe their most underrated record:
  • Slay The Nazarene
  • Panzer Division Marduk
  • Azrael
  • With Satan And Victorious Weapons
  • Bleached Bones
  • To The Death's Head True
6 of the 17 songs on this album are from the then almost 1 year old Plague Angel (2004) that do I consider to be my 4th favorite Marduk album. I got no complains about the songs from that one:
  • The Hangman Of Prague
  • Seven Angels, Seven Trumpets
  • Blutrache
  • Steel Inferno
  • Throne Of Rats
  • Warschau
Always when a band got such an amazing and extensive discography as Marduk one will always wish for own personal favorites. Even if they did many from Heaven Shall Burn... When We Are Gathered (1996) on the Live In Germania album with Legion. I wanted at least 1 or more songs from that record.

Others I personally would like them to have recorded are some more from the Dark Endless (1992) and Fuck Me Jesus (1991) releases. Only one from my favorite Marduk album Opus Nocturne (1994) is far too few. I would be pleased with just one of these From Subterranean Throne Profound, The Sun Has Failed or Materialized In Stone..

But enough about the songs who is on it or isn't! It's the performance that I'm most pleased with.

Warschau was recorded in the city with the same name, Warsaw in English, located in Poland during their Deathmarch Tour in September of 2005.

What makes this the best Marduk live album is not just because it sounds fucking amazing. Once again I’ve got to give praise to Mortuus for this who I consider to be the best vocalist in the entire Black Metal scene.

Said this many times before but what he has done in Marduk, Funeral Mist and do not forget about Triumphator has only been beaten once. By Attila Csihar on the best album of all time the Mayhem classic De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (1994).

I highly recommend buying the phenomenal Marduk DVD Blood Puke Salvation (2006). It was also was recorded during the tour for the Plague Angel album mostly during December of 2004.

And as always Praise Hail Marduk!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar