söndag 11 november 2018

DANZIG II: LUCIFUGE (1990)

On a European first print vinyl released by Def American Recordings/Phonogram.

Glenn Danzig has been involved in many amazing bands and albums but this one is my absolute favorite in his entire discography. This is the follow-up album to the self titled debut Danzig (1988).

Sure that especially the debut Danzig but also Danzig 4P (1994) are amazing albums. Danzig III How The God Kills (1992) have many great songs but is my least favorite of those four.

This second Danzig record is really special in my opinion. It wasn’t always the case I considered that though. Remember it took me many listenings before realizing its glory way back in the early 90’s when I got it on CD. Very often when I'm meet with such a challenge the record can grow into a beast of an album.

At first I only liked Under Her Black Wings; Long Way Back From Hell and Snakes Of Christ. Nowadays I don't think there's a bad moment on the entire record.

Probably many people like me discovered Danzig (also Samhain & Misfits) thanks to Metallica wearing their t-shirts on stage and band photos. Also the covers they did of Misfits.

What really made me buy my first Danzig album back in the day was when I saw the video to Mother. Believe my older sister had recorded it onto a VHS-tape also. Then when I saw the promo video for Under Her Black Wings I of course wanted this album also because the 1st one was so amazing.

Danzig was so different from the bands that I was into at the time Metallica Megadeth. This was also before I discovered Slayer, Sepultura, Morbid Angel, Entombed and so on.

The Danzig II: Lucifuge album has so many different elements on it. Like Blues on the amazing songs I’m The One and Killer Wolf (which they made a promo video for). Besides the already mentioned songs I want to point out some other ones. Another video was made for Devil's Plaything it got a bit of a punk vibe to it. They strangely didn't do a video for the amazing Tired Of Being Alive.

777 incorporates a slide guitar that almost gives it a Country feeling. Blood And Tears got late 50's Rock influences and is done excellent. The ending song Pain In The World is Doom Metal and Black Sabbath sounding done in the Danzig way.

The four first Danzig records was still being played every once in awhile when I was deepest into the Black Metal scene in the 90's. Their music really felt like it was more "evil" then many Black Metal bands that got recognition in the 90's.

After the 4th record I lost interest for buying new Danzig albums. Although I got some of them on CD that my sister gave to me because she don't listen to physical media anymore.

There's some great songs he has written since but none that could match anything on Danzig II: Lucifuge. All in all this is a masterpiece of an album.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar