lördag 24 november 2018

WARDRUNA - SKALD (2018)

on a gatefold exclusive red vinyl from the Wardruna webstore limited to 500 copies also the digipack CD both released on By Norse Music. When I preordered the LP I'm certain that said it was limited to only 250 copies, not that I really care all that much about that. It's available on a white vinyl also limited to 500 copies and standard black vinyl.

Skald was recorded live in the studio with the intention of capturing the uncompromising energy of a a live performance rather then aiming for a flawless and polished expression.
It sets out to give voice to the ancient craft that once lay at the heart of the Norse oral traditions, presented as it takes shape in the hands of a humble contemporary skald today”

Is the first Einar Selvik says in the booklet and I couldn't describe the Skald album better myself. The booklet is very interesting to read, especially about some of the songs origins. There's both the original Norwegian lyrics and also English translations included.

This new album is the first Wardruna has recorded since the Runaljod Trilogy was completed in with the excellent Ragnarok (2016).

For the most part of the 10 songs they haven't been recorded or released. The songs Helvegen and Fehu both appears on the 2nd album Yggdrasil (2013) but here they take on another shape.

I almost prefer this Helvegen version but its a close between the two in terms of being best because they are so different from each other. Voluspá has been performed at Wardruna concerts and at Einar Selvik solo performances. They also made an amazing video for that song you really should check out (see furthest down).

The next Warduna release I really hope for a Blu-Ray live concert, a performance with ex. member Gaahl on Kauna and Jara would be excellent. Have seen Wardruna live a couple of times now and one can only hope for something like that.

Anyway I realize that this isn’t for everyone. The almost 16 min song Sonatorrek only consists of Selvik's own vocals. The album is called Skald after all. Even if it doesn’t sound anything like Nagellstev when Fenriz did that song on Nordavind (1995) by Storm. Also that one doesn't just have his vocals, I hope you get where I'm going with this. For me personally this reminds me of the Norwegian 90’s spirit and that goes for the entire album. Without it even ever being intended.

Einar Selvik has said in interviews that he doesn't understand why Wardruna is popular among Black Metal fans/people. But if you're like me and was into the Norwegian (& Swedish) scene during the mid 90's and listened too bands like Isengard, Wongraven, Storm etc. I think that Wardruna is a continuation of those bands. Just done in a way different format. 

Was going to wait until I had my Wardruna bind rune tattoo done in 3 weeks, but couldn’t hold out doing a post about Skald because it's so brilliant. Got it yesterday and been listening constantly to the album.

As you probably can guess I’m a huge Wardruna / Einar Selvik fan but I give this record a chance. You might find the same spirit that I found within Skald.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar