torsdag 27 december 2018

MY FAVORITE RELEASES OF 1998

So last year on my Instagram account I started a new "tradition". Since I'm an old school kind of guy it was interesting to make a top list of the best releases of 1997 which was a brilliant year. Especially in Black Metal the scene.

Also the fact I didn't make a list in 2017 because it wasn't a strong year for Black or Death Metal. Sure there were a couple of amazing and even excellent records but not enough for me to do a list of  9-12 albums.

As a comparison I can say that 2018 is actually even better then 1998 that's hard to imagine but it's true at least in my book.

Many of the photos on each individual release have already been published and I'm too lazy to take new ones so some are quite crappy with my old iPhone 6S camera (a newer is on the way).

There are some rules though. No live, compilation, re-recorded, demo reissues or any other releases with very old material.

It's always hard to number albums in a particular order. But I would probably rank them as following and it's not life of death. Anyway let's move on with my favorites of 1998!


Funeral Mist - Devilry

Their debut was release on a 5 song MCD in 1998. The 12" LP was released in 1999 limited to 300 copies and has the bonus song Hellspell 2. Included both my versions that were released by the legendary Shadow Records.


Nifelheim - Devil's Force

The follow-up to their awesome debut Nifelheim (1995) is almost as amazing that one was. Can't say enough good things about this record. Here on my vinyl reissue by Regain Records from 2010.


Abigor - Supreme Immortal Art

Masterpiece! I never get tired of listening to this album and this isn't even my favorite Abigor album. It reminds me of Emperor at times actually prefer this over their IX Equilibrium (1999) record.


Dawn - Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy)

Probably my favorite Dawn release of all time and that says a lot because their debut and the following EP were excellent. On a red 2 x LP vinyl reissue on Century Media from 2017 limited to 100 copies.


Marduk - Nightwing

My 2nd least favorite Marduk studio album but in Marduk terms that still means it's fucking amazing. On some Osmose Productions LP 2016 reissue. Should have the 1st print release in my Marduk collection and one day I will own it.


Arckanum - Kampen

It might be the weakest of all their 3 albums that were released on Necropolis Records in the 90's. But this 2-CD release has lots of great songs on it and a classic. Should really get a reissue LP of this one some day because Necropolis never made one.


Dødheimsgard - Satanic Art

This was released as a great 5-song MCD on Moonfog Productions that really holds up on its own. It's amazing an teaser for their epic 666 International (1999) album. It was finally released on vinyl in 2018 by Peaceville.

Gehenna - Adimiron Black

Really wished I owned a copy of the Moonfog LP of this very impressive album. Strangely it has never been reissued on vinyl. I do like the previous releases First Spell (1994), Seen Through The Veils Of Darkness (1995) and Malice (1996) more but those are hard to compete with and Gehenna doesn't sound anything like those 3 on Adimiron Black.

Sorhin - Döden MCMXCVIII

Sorhin has always been a personal favorite band from my country of Sweden. Only 3 songs but that’s all what it takes from this amazing Black Metal band. Limited and hand numbered CD release.

Angelcorpse - Exterminate

Another one that I should own a LP copy of is this album. It was actually 1 of 2 albums brought me back to the Death Metal scene in 1999 after being totally lost in Black Metal land for years. Even if Angelcorpse play a very Blackened Death Metal this is a very special record for me. Have to do a post about Exterminate and that other important album one day.

Otyg - Älvefärd

Listen so much too this CD in 1998-99 that I almost got burnt out on it. Lots of nostalgia but still a amazing album especially now in the cold Swedish winter time.

Vintersorg - Till Fjälls

As a huge fan of Otyg at the time I of course had to get this Vintersorg album on CD and it didn't disappoint. Here on the digipack CD version not sure if this or the standard jewel case release was released at different times.


Notably more Swedish releases (8) then Norwegian (2) among these ones. I probably fucked up some release date or forgot someone (probably Napalm or Necropolis...).

Some of these bands were considered for the 12 best releases Death, Cannibal Corpse, Gorgoroth, Limbonic Art, Ulver, Dark Funeral, Trelldom, Enslaved etc. So they weren't forgotten Death were closest I do like The Sound Of Perseverance but it's the record I listened least to in their discography.

And that was 1998 see you in a year for 1999 traditions are to be repeated.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar