söndag 31 mars 2019

A DARKTHRONE post and the new OLD STAR album

Darkthrone has announced that their new album Old Star will be release on May the 31st by Peaceville Records. I immediately pre-ordered the black LP edition as soon as the e-mail got to me.

Without any doubt Darkthrone is clearly the band after Marduk that takes up most space in my entire collection of LP's and CD's. Here in this post is my Darkthrone studio album vinyls.

Excluded all the compilation, EP and 7” releases. Some of my records are 1st prints but many reissues especially the ones that are crazy expensive nowadays.

My vinyl collection is based on having the cover artwork from the original CD/LP release. It's not that I dislike all those Peaceville LP reissues that completely alters the cover artwork. But I only want what I grew up buying even if not all covers got changed by Peaceville.

For the 2 x CD releases with audio commentary by Fenriz and/or Nocturno Culto I don't care about the artwork though.

Those CD's are definitely something any die-hard Darkthrone fan should own because they are very informative and entertaining.

There's also some minor color changes on the ones I have. Goatlord is probably the one that differ most from the original CD release on Moonfog Productions in 1996. That one has a much brighter blue color. It wasn't released officially on vinyl until 2002 though and Moonfog changed to a much darker color.

2 years ago on my Instagram account I began to rank all the Darkthrone full length albums. The task proved more daunting than expected so I only did 2 or 3 posts.

Mainly because after my top-6, that I still 100% back up, it gets too difficult. Some bands records are extremely hard to put in order from best to “worst”. Darkthrone being one of them Burzum being another example.

Anyway if someone is interested my top-6 now and then:
  1. Panzerfaust (1995)
  2. A Blaze In The Northern Sky (1992)
  3. Under A Funeral Moon (1993)
  4. Transilvanian Hunger (1994)
  5. Total Death (1996)
  6. Ravishing Grimness (1999)
If I had to pick a 7th one it would be divided between so many records it's not worth mentioning. However when we get closer to the release of Old Star I might go in depth with these 6.

Ever since Old Star was announced I been lost in a total Darkthrone music phase. My go to albums aren’t those 6 albums on the list except for A Blaze In The Northern Sky and Total Death. Have heard all those 6 records to death but those two I have been listening to very much lately also been into:

Plaguewielder (2001)
Nocturno Culto composed all music except for 1 song. A total gem!

Hate Them (2003)
Always liked this one so many amazing songs & riffs.

Goatlord (1996)
Hesitated to include it among their studio albums. Everyone should know the story behind the 1996 record. Still a very unique Darkthrone release.

Dark Thrones And Black Flags (2008)
This one is brilliant and one of their most underrated records.

Arctic Thunder (2016)
Such a great one I really hope they will top this with Old Star.

2 months feels very far away from now but I can’t wait to hear what Fenriz & Nocturno Culto will deliver this time.


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar