söndag 17 mars 2019

ARCTURUS - ASPERA HIEMS SYMFONIA (1996)

On a reissue green/black vinyl by the great Kyrck Productions from 2012. It comes with a 8-page booklet, poster and is limited to 300 copies.

Have already done a post on my Instagram account @herr_perdition about 2 years ago or something like that. But this record deserves another post and I haven't written one for the blog so here we go I will write more about the band then rather the album.

The latin title of Aspera Hiems Symfonia doesn't fit for when I found it on CD in the summer of 1996 at one of my local record stores. It was actually one employee that used to tell me about new Black Metal releases that showed me the album I listened to it at the store with headphones.  

About 30 seconds into To Thou Who Dwellest In The Night I was already convinced that the digipack CD was going home with me. A format I was and am still a sucker for now and definitely back then.

Also listened to Wintry Grey over there but then I just wanted to get the damn CD home to a more fitting environment (my teenage room). The record was so amazing that Arcturus became one of my new favorite Black Metal bands in just approx 1.5 hours (bus home and a playthrough) and that still remains to this day.

Arcturus have only released brilliant records throughout their career. Well that remixed album called Disguised Masters (1999) I hated it at the time of its release but nowadays I can appreciate it more but it's mainly for collectors and die hard fans like me.

Is it perfect? Did they need gangsta rap on Master Of Disguise and all that trip-hop? Hell no! But some of those remixes are done in a good way but the originals are 1000 times better at least. The new songs the opening 49 seconds White Tie Black Noise and Deception Genesis fells like leftovers from La Masquerade Infernale (1997). The "ensemble version" of Ad Astra is a great one though and the highlight of the album.

Some say that the Sideshow Symphonies (2005) record isn't as good as the rest of their discography. I do agree but still an amazing record that I would rate a 9 out of 10 if I had to put a review number on it. 

But let's talk a bit about this LP release another Kyrck Production release a company one can or could always rely on because they haven't released anything for years. I got vinyls & CD's by Ulver, Ved Buens Ende, Strid, Manes etc. all of them are immaculate releases. Kyrck always went the extra mile to make sure to please their customers got their moneys worth.

DO NOT get the 2002 compilation with Aspera Hiems Symfonia/Constellation/My Angel release! The remastering of Aspera Hiems Symfonia sounds terrible at least the 2 x vinyl album that I own. It should be sold and not pester my Arcturus collection because it's so bad. However it does have 2 bonus songs from the Aspera Hiems Symfonia session.

This Kyrck release also got a bonus song a early 1994 rehearsal version of The Bodkin & The Quietus or as it's simply called here The Bodkin.... Would've been nice with those 2 songs from the 2002 compilation The Deep Is The Skies and Cosmojam but with or without any bonus songs this is how a proper Aspera Hiems Symfonia LP release should be.

The album was actually released on vinyl as early as 1996 but only on a picture disc LP. There's also a misprint of that release that has the same image on both sides.

I do like picture discs but try and avoid them mainly because of the many fragile prints that clearly was never meant to be played on a record player. I only want records in my collection that I will play.

Anyway cannot recommend Arcturus and this album enough!



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar