onsdag 25 april 2018

Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik - Hugsjá (2018)

Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik’s newly released “Hugsjá” album on a double silver vinyl limited to 250 copies exclusively sold at the European Bynorse webstore in a beautiful designed gatefold release. The US exclusive release was 250 copies on a blue vinyl.

Ever since I witnessed the world premiere of Hugsjá at Grieghallen in Bergen on May the 31th, almost a year ago, I’ve been so extremely excited for this album. To see an entire live performance without being familiar with any of the material beforehand is always hard to take in the whole show as supposed to Skuggsjá that I know inside out.

Already after a few listens to the Hugsjá album I can say that it’s my favorite record of 2018 thus far. If you’ve read my Abigor post you know this year have many amazing releases (and hopefully upcoming Marduk & Immortal).

Do note that I’m a huge fan of everything that Einar Selvik has ever released but even if you don’t like his other band Wardruna you should give Hugsjá a chance because it sounds different from his other music. Part of that is the contributions from Ivar Bjørnson that plays guitar and “electronics” while Selvik except for singing plays instruments like taglharpa, Kravik-lyre, goat-horn, flute and percussion.
On the Skuggsjá album Grutle Kjellson (Enslaved) appeared on the songs with a more Black Metal approach to them, something that’s not present on the Hugsjá record. I would describe the music as traditional folk music with elements of progressive music done in a Norse way.

The Norwegian lyrics are beautiful and I’m very grateful I can read them being Swedish, they’re translated to English but it doesn’t connect as strong in my mind to read those I prefer reading the original language. I'm not saying you have to be Scandinavian to enjoy it but I do believe it connects more to our roots then again I really enjoy Irish Folk Music. It’s to early to say if I like it better then Skuggsjá but so far I really really like it. Even if it’s my album of the year it might not be for everyone, but believe me you don’t want to miss out on the brilliance this album offer. Beautiful timeless Norse songs and lyrics from my northern realms.

Update May 10th
With some time gone now since its release: I've got to say this is really an amazing album and it grows on me with each listen. It might be the best Einar Selvik have done since the Wardruna debut "Gap Var Ginnunga" from 2009. Me saying that says just how amazing this album really is, because the 2 other albums in the so called "Runaljod trilogy" "Yggdrasil" (2013) and "Ragnarok" (2016) is almost as brilliant as "Gap Var Ginnunga". I would put “Hugsjá” above Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik’s previous album "Skuggsjá - A Piece for Mind & Mirror" and that one I do love a whole lot. But time will tell if it's will remain as high.

Etched compass on the D-side, kind of hard to see on picture (I'm in need of a better camera on my phone...) 


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar