söndag 10 mars 2019

My ISENGARD tattoo - a tribute to FENRIZ and the mid 90's NORWEGIAN BLACK METAL scene

The tattoo was done by @fifthson78 on Instagram or visit his page at www.fifthson.com thanks for the excellent work once again man and the great conversation. He also did my Wardruna bind rune tattoo.

The inspiration can be found inside the CD-booklet of the Høstmørke (1995) album that I bought the year it was released. It’s also the pendant you see Fenriz wear on the cover of the album still to this day he's wearing it on pictures and in videos I've seen.

Choose not to include the quote: "Death is certain, life is not"? It's not that I don't like the meaning of that but I don't want any quote on my arms. The symbol is the main thing in my opinion also my right arm is dedicated to Norse/Pagan tattoos and my left for more Dark/Satanic stuff.

Although I’m a huge Darkthrone fan I got all their full length studio albums both on LP and most of them also on CD.

This image symbolizes my favorite years of Fenriz music. The classic Moonfog era during the mid 90's.

The releases he did with Isengard, Darkthrone, StormDødheimsgard and also the Vallhall and Neptune Towers ones were all of such class at the time of their release. They all became classic albums immediately and yes I'm aware all those weren't released on Moonfog Productions.

Because of mainly the 3 first bands I mentioned I began a hunt for finding everything Fenriz related in 1995/96 on CD. For instance that's how I stumbled across the Kronet Till Konge (1995) album and even if I don't play the two Neptune Towers albums regularly. They both have a very deep nostalgic factor for me and in the right "mind/mood" they are a great soundtrack. Even if there's admittedly both better Ambient Black Metal bands and albums.

Don’t get me wrong! I like all the albums that I own from 2000 to now that involves Fenriz. Well maybe not where he does just a guest appearance. Isengard is by far my favorite side project he's ever done and certainly one of the very best in the entire scene in the 90's. I would almost put Isengard as high up as I do Darkthrone.

Always say my favorite album is Høstmørke but my go to Isengard album is actually the debut compilation Vinterskugge (1994). It’s so diverse and during its 64.5 minutes there isn’t anything I would change.

Sure even Høstmørke shows signs of different styles with songs like Thornspawn Chalice and Total Death being straight forward Black Metal while the 5 other songs has a Folk/Pagan Metal feeling which one most associate Isengard with.

However on Vinterskugge that's categorized in 3 chapters. The first chapter Vandreren (1993) songs 1 to 7 has everything from Folk/Pagan Metal on for instance Nagelfar or Vinterskugge and many more. Also a ambient song In The Halls And Chambers Of Stardust The Crystallic Heavens Open and the primitive Black Metal on Ut I Vannets Dyp Hvor Mørket Hviler.

On chapter II songs 8 to 12 Spectres Over Gorgoroth (1989) is from the Isengard demo it has a Death Metal feeling with Doom and Black Metal influences. All are great and I'm so glad they were included and that they didn't just release the 1993 recordings.

Chapter III Horizons songs 13-16 from 1991 (some recorded later) are definitely the weirdest but so fucking brilliant. The Fog incorporates Black and Death Metal, Storm Of Evil is almost like Folk Metal with 70's rock also some Punk in that one.

Bergtrollets Gravferd a ambient song with a very ominous dark feeling. Despite its title that I associate more with the Viking/Folk it's the most Satanic sounding song on the album. I can only think of Mortiis with Vond on Selvmord (1994) that could do something as brilliant with a Ambient song to get that darkness into it. Even if I'm by far not an expert on every record out there.

Then the ending Our Lord Will Come which by far is one of the weirdest songs Fenriz ever recorded in the 90's. It's dark and weird 70's evil sounding Rock with Doom Metal and with an even a more ominous feeling then the previous one in parts.

Although amazing throughout the first 7 songs are my favorites on Vinterskugge closely followed by the 4 ending songs which are so fucking great. Like I said would not change anything on this album.

I think to everyone's surprise in 2016 Peaceville released the Traditional Doom Cult 7" vinyl with 2 songs. The Light from the autumn of 1989 and The Fright from early 1990. Both would've fitted well with the rest of the material on the Vinterskugge album.

But with 16 songs already it might been too many songs for that album. Both The Light and The Fright is in the same vein as the Our Lord Will Come song. Not as evil/ominous sounding but still great. I would be very glad if more stuff like this was released.

Do I want Fenriz to resurrect Isengard? No that ship sailed a long time ago. Around 1996-97 both Darkthrone and Fenriz music didn't have that same spirit in my opinion. Even if brilliant records like the criminally underrated Total Death (1996), Ravishing Grimness (1999), Arctic Thunder (2016) etc. was and are still being released.

Was recommended the split Engangsgrill (2009) he did with Nattefrost of Carpathian Forest etc. where the 3 first songs is called Fenriz' Red Planet would be in the same vein as Isengard. The recording dates back to 1993 but doesn't have that Isengard magic to it. The songs are basically 70's primitive Rock with Doom/Stoner influences although not bad, not amazing either but worth buying.

Vinterskugge was actually the first Norwegian Black Metal CD that I ever laid my eyes on. Remember a friend I had back then borrowed it from a friends boyfriend or something like that. He actually didn't got into the scene like me and my other friends did. You got to know this is something like 25 years ago. So my memory isn't quite clear on how or where he borrowed the CD from...

But I'm definitely 100% certain it was Vinterskugge Do believe we listened to it together and knew it was a side project but it wasn't a great start for my Black Metal journey. That would begin just a few months later with Emperor and In The Nightside Eclipse (1994) album.

By the way where do you think I got the inspiration for using Herr in front of all my names I use online? Of course its from the Nordavind (1995) album by Storm where Fenriz labels himself as Herr Nagell.

Actually I’m not one for meeting famous Black Metal artists and sure I've stumble across some during my 39 years of living. But Fenriz is one guy I would like to buy a beer/drink and just chitchat with for some hours about music. Would he enjoy that? Probably not...

Anyway I’m so satisfied with my Fenriz 90’s tribute. Don’t know what I would choose to tribute the last 19 years work by him I could definitely come up with something.

But my next tattoo project will be something Bathory related. Nothing's decided yet also which era I would choose. There are so many possibilities I could take with that also.

Thanks again to Johannes @Fifthson78 for a brilliant work and also one Herr Gylve Nagell for the inspiration.

3 kommentarer:

  1. You say your next tattoo project will be something Bathory related but the truth is this one is more Bathory related than you think haha.
    See, the main reason Fenriz has been sporting that pendant is that Quorthon himself used to wear one too.
    https://i.imgur.com/KdJQqyj.jpg Check what the man is wearing around his neck in this photo, looks familiar?
    Quorthon used to wear it a lot mostly during early to mid 90s, so there is more photos of him with it, he also wears in on some of the few videos of him that exist.
    Your tattoo looks great by the way. Cheers!

    SvaraRadera
  2. You say your next tattoo project will be something Bathory related but the truth is this one is more Bathory related than you think haha.
    See, the main reason Fenriz has been sporting that pendant is that Quorthon himself used to wear one too. Supposedly it was pretty easy to obtain in Scandinavia during the 90s.
    https://i.imgur.com/KdJQqyj.jpg Check what the man is wearing around his neck in this photo, looks familiar?
    Quorthon used to wear it a lot mostly during early to mid 90s, so there is more photos of him with it, he also wears in on some of the few videos of him that exist.
    Your tattoo looks great by the way. Cheers!

    SvaraRadera
  3. Your tattoo and story behind it are great, man. Came across this online and wanted to share my "Isengard" Triskelion tattoo as well:

    https://imgur.com/gallery/IVyI2DU

    Cheers and hails!

    SvaraRadera