onsdag 1 augusti 2018

R.I.P. ARCKANUM 1993 - 2018...

Had no idea that Shamaatae aka. Johan Lahger had put down Arckanum to rest after 25 years. I was just going to check some fact on Shamaatae at Metal Archives while doing research for another post and saw that Arckanum was no more.

Didn't know anything about this... But apparently it was already announced in February this year. So it came as quite the shock, Shamaatae will continue writing books and focus on his spiritual ventures. I wish him all the best with that, but for my own selfish reasons I really wished he continued on with Arckanum.

Very sad news for me because the band has meant so much for me. I've been a fan since the mid 90's when I found the debut Fran Marder (1995) at a record store in my hometown that sold used CD, LP, VHS etc. in 1995/96 (?).

My curiosity for the band was much thanks to the fact they were signed to Necropolis Records. The North American record label where many bands released many timeless classic albums like: Nifelheim; The Black, Dawn, Triumphator, War, Niden Div. 187, Vondur just to name a few. Also great essential compilations albums by DissectionOphthalamia also the Nordic Metal A Tribute To Euronymous one.

The 3 first Arckanum albums were released on Necropolis Records. Next 2 records were released on the French label Debemur Morti Productions, then they released albums on Regain Records, Season Of Mist Underground Activists and Folter Records.

Shamaatae also has his own label Carnal Records on where Arckanum released some 7" singles, EP's, split releases and the compilation The 11 Year Anniversary Album (2004). Also amazing albums by great bands like Craft, Grá, Svartsyn etc. just to mention a few.

Anyway let's celebrate what Arckanum accomplished during their 25 years. I have all 9 full length albums, really wish that I have more of them on vinyl. Eventually I'll get my favorite Arckanum records on LP. As far I only got 2 of them Antikosmos and ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ the ones that were released on amazing vinyl boxes in 2016. They came with a bunch of cool extra stuff like t-shirt, poster, longsleeve, vinyl slipmat etc. you can see them in this post.

Actually Fran Marder, Kostogher and Kampen wasn't released on vinyl until 2003-04. I'm also extremely glad that I bought all 3 Arckanum CD releases on Necropolis Records in the 90's. Because they are ridiculously priced nowadays. Especially Fran Marder just like many other early records on Necropolis Records.

FRAN MARDER (1995)
The classic debut album! Don't be fooled by the cheesy promo video to the song Gava Fran Trulen, sure it's a great song but, the Fran Marder album has so much more to offer. Brilliant songs I want to mention like Hvila Pa Tronan Min; Svinna; Bærghet; Kununger Af þæn Diupeste Natur etc. just to name a few. It was recorded at Abyss Studio in just 4 days of February 95.

Fran Marder is probably my favorite Arckanum record. Sure nostalgia plays huge a part but it was amazing back then and still is today. I know it's a cliche... But I find new stuff on it every time I listen too the album. A must have record in any serious Black Metal collection.

KOSTOGHER (1997)
In the same vein as the debut, but still a progress of the music and almost as amazing. A bit more polished then Fran Marder there's many highlights on this album and those are very strong. I would probably put either Kostogher or Antikosmos as my 3rd favorite record by them, but this isn't about ranking Arckanum albums.

Just some of the songs I recommend from this one: Skoghens Minnen Vækks; Yvir Min Diupe Marder; Et Sorghetog; Gamall Uvermark and Bedrøvelse. I could mention even more but if you're unfamiliar with Arckanum I don't want to mention every song from every album.

KAMPEN (1998)
Much music on a 2-CD release, 73 min 16 sec to be exact. It became the last Arckanum album on Necropolis Records it's my least favorite of those 3. That's not saying it's bad! Because in fact I do really enjoy listening to this one 20 years later.

However they made one mistake with this first Necropolis Records release and it's not a print error. The album got 11 songs but they are spread out on only 4 tracks, for instance the first song on CD 1 contains 3 songs in one: Kamps Tekn; Frana and Tronan Yvir þusand Landskaps Mark. As far as I know they fixed that on reissues of Kampen. The intent was to release it on one CD because the music can fit on one CD, but Necropolis screwed that up...

Some recommendation: Frana; Pa Gruvstiigher Vandrum; Minir Natz Fughlir and Skipu Vidit Dunkel but it's best like all great albums to listen to this one from start to finish. I probably even like it more nowadays then in the 90's even. Definitely an album that fans of the band should own. Hell even people not into Arckanum should also get this album!

ANTIKOSMOS (2008)
It took 10 years until Arckanum released another full length album. It was completely worth the wait! There were some EP, splits and the compilation album releases in between Kampen and Antikosmos but I never bought any of them. It's almost like a "comeback" and a reincarnation of the band musically the style had evolved during that time. Not like there's another band it still sounds like Arckanum should.

They actually recorded Antikosmos in the Sunlight Studio with Tomas Skogsberg. One always think about the early Swedish Death Metal scene with brilliant albums by Dismember, Entombed, At The Gates, Carnage etc. when his name comes up. But this sounds amazing and shows what an amazing engineer and producer he is, not that one needed more "evidence" with a track record like his. The album was mastered at Necromorbus Studio though.

Like I stated earlier Antikosmos or Kostogher is my 3rd favorite Arckanum album and some of highlights for me are: Svarti; Dauðmellin; Nákjeptir; Eksortna; Røkulfargnýr etc. 8 songs in 38 minutes is a great formula for a great Arckanum record!

ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ (2009)
I would rank ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ my 2nd favorite album by Arckanum but it's actually not far behind the debut Fran Marder. They are so far from each other musically so whenever I listen to this one I'm just blown away by it every time. Don't know why they didn't continue with Tomas Skogsberg at the Sunlight Studio but nevertheless the result is astonishing. Just like the previous record Shamaatae had guitarist Set Teitan (ex. Dissection etc.) as a session guest performer on ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ.

11 songs in approx 50 min and it's very hard to pick out recommendation songs but here's some anyway: Þórhati; Þann Svartís; Þyrpas Ulfar; Þursvitnir; Þjóbaugvittr; Þá Kómu Niflstormum; Þrúðkyn almost mentioned every song there but that's just a testament how brilliant this album is.

SVIGA LÆ (2010)
The 3rd album in 3 years and Arckanum is in great form. The band also had signed with Swedish record label Regain Records, this was however the only album to be released on that company. It's also the only Arckanum album never to have been released on vinyl.

Sviga Læ is in the same vein as the two previous masterpieces it almost feels like a trilogy. The album have 8 songs and clocks in about 38 min. The album doesn't have as great songs as Antikosmos and ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ nevertheless a really solid record that any Arckanum fan should enjoy. Some of the highlights are in my opinion: Læ Elr; Gylðir Algørir; Goðin Eru Blekkt and Andskoti Ferr Austan.

HELVÍTISMYRKR (2011)
Shamaatae still had enormous inspiration and released a 4th album during a 4 year period. I like this album but one can hear a decline in the songs, not saying that Helvítismyrkr is a bad album because it's definitely NOT.

The production and the songs sound amazing. The tracks Myrkrin Vinna Hefnt and Nifldreki are both excellent and could have easily fit among the best songs on the ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ album. Other great ones are In Svarta and Svartr Ok Þursligr. But as a whole album experience I feel that its very uneven.

For this album and the next one Arckanum had signed with the Season Of Mist Underground Activists record label.

FENRIS KINDIR (2013)
Out of the 9 Arckanum albums Fenris Kindir is in opinion the weakest one among them all by far even. It's still Arckanum but it just feels so very average. It's not until the 5th song that the album delivers a great track Hamrami. A folk music inspired instrumental song. Also the next one Fenris Gangr is one of the better songs. 

There's not much to get excited about before those two or after. I got no complaints about the sound or production but the songs just isn't there.

DEN FÖRSTFÖDDE (2017)
This became the last Arckanum record ever. New for this one is that Shamaatae uses for the most part regular Swedish in the lyrics and song titles instead for the "Arckanum trademark" written in ancient Swedish. 

It has familiar sound to it but without sounding predictable. If you are a fan of Arckanum you’re going to like this album for sure. When it was released last year I really liked and praised it over at my Instagram account. I still like Den Förstfödde but might have overrated it at the time and saying it was among my top-5 Arckanum albums. 

I think it's much better then both Helvítismyrkr and Fenris Kindir but I would probably put this or Sviga Læ as their 6th or 7th best album. I highly recommend anyone to give Den Förstfödde a chance, it's a very unusual and unique Arckanum album. Even if the 4 last Arckanum albums were their weakest in the entire discography I'm still glad he released them all.


And that folks was my post about Arckanum! Who knows what the future will bring? Shamaatae is only 44 years old and that's not an age that prevents him from once again bring back Arckanum.

Either if he does or don't his career has been amazing and in my opinion he's a legend in the Swedish Black Metal scene that deserves much respect for what he accomplished with his music.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar