söndag 19 augusti 2018

UNANIMATED - ANNIHILATION (2018) EP

On Friday the 10th of August Unanimated released their new 4-song EP called Annihilation that's 9 years and 4 months after the previous album In The Light Of Darkness (2009). I bought the silver 12" vinyl version of the EP limited to 100 copies released on Century Media.

The LP is single sided so on the B-side there's a etched motive. It's the same as the one on the white page that says Black & Death Metal  kind of hard to see on my crappy iPhone 6S photos (will upgrade soon). I really appreciate the A4 even if it's printed on some cheap paper it's a nice thing to get with the LP release not just for the image but also bassist Richard Cabeza written words. More bands should do this.

Kind of a late post on this one got it a few days ago, but I’ve been extremely busy with working and other things. But wasn’t late to pre-ordering this version of Annihilation though, 5 min after I got the newsletter e-mail from the Century Media webstore when it was announced for pre-order I directly picked out this one.

This 4-song EP was probably my second most anticipated release (behind Funeral Mist) in the year of excellent Metal releases that 2018 truly has been. Never usually keep any my LP’s in the shrink wrapper but for this release I’ll be that guy with a partially “sealed copy” might remove it eventually.

Really nice design altogether on the Annihilation release. The title is kind of boring, just one word, not like the debut album with all its very long title. But who cares? It's the music that I'm after and about that:

Adversarial Fire is a great opening song of the EP. I had heard it when they played it live (on YouTube) earlier this year in Stockholm. It’s in the same vein as their previous album In The Light Of Darkness. On the second song From A Throne Below the tempo slows down and it’s another great one. Of Fire And Obliteration starts with an acoustic guitar when the vocals and electric guitar comes into the song I get goosebumps. Pure Black/Death Metal excellency! Last out is the title track Annihilation really great and I’m left wanting more after approx 21 min of Unanimated greatness.

Unanimated has grown musically since the 9 years that passed since their last release, there's more hints of Black Metal then the melodic Blackened Death Metal of Ancient God Of Evil (1995). Actually I would say that they took a very small inspiration from their debut In The Forest Of The Dreaming Dead (1993). But mostly it's a continuation on what they started with on In The Light Of Darkness

They recorded the EP in the Chrome Studios with Fredrik Folkare as producer he's also Unleashed guitarist and it sounds great. I do believe they will record the upcoming album in the same studio. Even if it sounds amazing I would've preferred if they had recorded in my favorite Swedish studios: Necromorbus Studio with Tore Stjerna like on the previous album or if they had chosen to work with Devo Andersson of Marduk in his Endarker Studio.

The result of working with Devo would've been very interesting in my book even if music is only as good as its written. So maybe on any of the 2 other albums they will release on Century Media?

Even if former original longtime drummer Peter Stjärnvind was replaced as early as 2011 on drums by Anders Schultz from Unleashed and Peter don't play the drums anymore because of an injury he's missed. At least for me because he was apart of all those great albums (and demos) then again Anders does a great job also. Peter now plays guitar in Merciless.

Recently read a 4-paged interview with Richard Cabeza  (or 2,5 because of pictures) from the Swedish metal magazine Close-Up Magazine and Unanimated chose not to do a tour together with Rotting Christ and Watain they got offered. Instead they wanted to focus on the recording of the upcoming album.

In my mind Watain is still a new band even if they played since 1998, but do know that I’m a 38 years old guy. I do believe they’ve got a lot of younger fans (of course older also) but it probably would’ve been some great promotion for Unanimated. They did just play a gig at Party San Metal Over Air in Germany last weekend. There's a great live clip of the band performing one of my favorites the classic Die Alone from Ancient God Of Evil  on YouTube I highly recommend checking out.

Extremely pleased with the Annihilation EP and to summarize best releases of 2018 just got even more harder but I don't mind that at all. The future of Unanimated looks extremely promising!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar