lördag 15 september 2018

DEATHSPELL OMEGA TIMES TWO

Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum (2007) first print vinyl on Norma Evangelium Diaboli that comes with a poster (approx 60 cm x 60 cm) plus a 20-page booklet.

Paracletus (2010) a reissue vinyl release on Norma Evangelium Diaboli from 2017 it comes with an amazing 16-paged booklet. The design of this release is so beautiful just like Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice (2004) they really put effort into this one. Wished that it came with a poster the 1st print doesn't come with one either and this release is designed completely the same as that one.

After this French (later also Finnish) band released one of the best albums of this century the masterpiece Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice). One could say that Deathspell Omega had a monumental task to try and follow up such an amazing and brilliant record.

Did they do that with these albums? Boring answer but both yes and no. They did great but I still think that their Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice is the bands finest work. By far I would even say.

I know journalists and people say that record changed the Black Metal scene I don't necessarily agree completely with that. Sure it made a big impact but I could say the same about Funeral Mist with what I consider to be a better album Salvation (2003). I'll save that whole topic for another post...

These are the 2nd and 3rd concept albums in their trilogy about Satan, God and Man. In between the two there was a ton of EP’s, compilations and split releases. All of varied quality in my opinion some great, some not so good.

Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum is for me the weakest if I was to compare all 3 of those albums. The format is somewhat different from the Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice album, it's only on one vinyl instead of two. It's way shorter only 46 min 16 sec compared to 77 min the just mentioned album was and have 6 songs instead of 13 songs. There's 3 songs that are approx 9-11 min long.

The formula for the Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum album is still a continuation of what they started on the previous album in the trilogy. It's certainly the hardest one of those albums to fully understand, it took many listens before I realized how good it really is. It's not an easy listening album that's for sure.

The Paracletus album was released 3 years after the Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum album. It’s about 35 min shorter then Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice have 10 songs and the longest one being just 7 min. The average song is shorter.

With the Paracletus release I think they did a more "comprehensible" (for lack of a better word) album then they did on the Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum album. It's a lot more approachable and is in my opinion the better of the two. Not saying that it's an easy listening commercial Black Metal album because it does challenge you.

To describe Deathspell Omega music is very hard or any music for that matter. But with their music it’s better you experience it for yourself. I don’t listen to these 2 albums very often like I do with Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice. But when I'm in the right mood and the surroundings are right they’re fucking amazing.

However I would place their second full length the criminally underrated Inquisitors Of Satan (2002) album that was released before Mikko Aspa joined the band and also the Drought (2012) EP over these two.

If I was to recommend Deathspell Omega to any newcomer. Start with Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice and give it time, you probably won’t understand the complete essence of its greatness until at least a couple of listenings. The surroundings also plays into it.

Not to get too philosophical and shit but you probably won’t get it on a beach in the Mediterranean during a holiday with a Piña Colada (or my favorite Screwdriver) at your side. Some might though who am I to judge or know?

Anyway two albums that definitely have a place in Black Metal history. I think that everyone into this genre should at least have an opinion about them.








Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar