torsdag 20 september 2018

SUMMONING - WITH DOOM WE COME (2018)

On a 2 x gatefold vinyl released on Napalm Records.

This was actually the first album that I bought in 2018 but on CD. As you can see in the picture I always buy the Summoning albums on CD and I'm a man of habit. But this record was so amazing that I thought it would be nice to own at least one Summoning LP.

If you check my posts you should know that I do enjoy vinyls. Does this mean that I'll pick up all their other albums and EP's by the band on vinyl? Well maybe my favorites like Minas Morgul (1995); Dol Guldur (1997) and also the EP Nightshade Forests (1997). Although those are very expensive nowadays I probably try and wait out a good deal for those because I'm in no hurry anyway.

But about With Doom We Come this was the 8th full length album by Summoning during their 25 years of existence. Can easily say it's their best album in 17 years. Going back as far as Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame (2001) to find an equally amazing album.

My story with the band is much thanks to 4 things. The amazing ads that Napalm Records put out for their 90's albums in magazines and fanzines. The beautiful front cover artwork to each release. Also me being a very big fan of J.R.R. Tolkien's books that I read ever since 1993/94 when I was 14 years. But the biggest fact of me blind buying Minas Morgul in 1996 was that one of the two members of the band Silenius (vocals, keyboard, bass) also was vocalist in another brilliant Austrian band I had discovered that year Abigor.

With With Doom We Come it's not like Summoning changed anything or invented the wheel. Silenius and Protector just wrote the best songs they have written in 17 years. I can say for sure that With Doom We Come will be on my top-9 records when this year will be summarized and it will land at a very high place on my list.

I've been listening to Summoning very much lately because their music is very fitting for when the Swedish autumn in knocking on the door. When I was a youth 15-20 years and was so totally into Black Metal scene I despised the summer. I couldn't wait for the darkness of autumn, the snow and coldness of winter.

Snø Og Granskog by Darkthrone from their 1995 album Panzerfaust was a song I would always play in my cassette-tape Sony Walkman while enjoying the Black Metal weather. So fucking juvenile thinking about it now. But that's how teenagers think or at least me and my friends back then.

With age I now just think it's a hassle. Getting to work in the pouring rain or with 10-20 cm of freshly fallen snow isn't exactly me thinking how Black Metal it is nowadays. Guess I'm not "true" anymore me being 38 years old...

Anyway enjoy Summoning and With Doom We Come now with the light vanishing and the darkness coming.

Praise hail summer!!


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar