söndag 6 januari 2019

VOODUS - INTO THE WILD (2018)

On a 2 x LP that comes with a A2 poster released by the legendary Shadow Records and limited to 500 copies.

Get yourself NOW! Because I think this one will be a cult classic within the scene for many years to come.

The Into The Wild album was just as its predecessor EP recorded in one of my favorite studios of all time. Necromorbus with Tore Stjerna (mixing & mastering) who's credentials I don't have to write about. Although the producing & engineering was done by Valkyrja guitarist/vocalist Simon Wizén. This record sounds absolutely fucking amazing.

I always make sure to check out what Shadow Records are releasing. You should too! When I listened to Into The Wild over at the Helter Skelter Bandcamp I immediately got sold on it.

Repeating myself but the Dissection name should be used with great care, when it comes to namedropping it for any band. There’s a couple of exceptions and Voodus is another one who gets a pass. Inside the gatefold they make sure to thank Dissection, Jon Nödtveidt and other associates from that legendary band as a source of inspiration.

Definitely a huge Dissection 90's influence and presence on Into The Wild much more then on the EP (that was dedicated to Jon). However when done properly it can be as excellent as on this album.

Would also say if you enjoy In The Light Of Darkness (2009) by Unanimated you should listen to this album because it reminds me somewhat of that underrated masterpiece. Watain has also been mentioned I've never been a fan of them so I don't know anything about that.

All references aside Voodus can definitely stand proud on their own and in my ears they should be huge in the scene right now.

From the amazing opening intro song The Awakening And The Ascension one can hear this is going to be one interesting ride. Well into the wild... Couldn't said it better myself. Except for the second song The Golden with its 5 min 45 sec the others average around 8-9 minutes but feels way shorter like great music tends to do.

The only exception of the following 6 songs is Dreams from an Ancient Mind Pt I with its 1.5 min. My favorite song is probably Communion Amid The Graves is how I envisioned how a follow-up to Storm Of The Light's Bane should've sounded like. The ending The Terrain Of Moloch clocks in at just over 14 minutes and is a great end to an amazing record.

Into The Wild is the first Voodus full length album before this one they had released two EP’s. The amazing 2-song Serpent Seducer Saviour (2017) that I own on a 10” LP that's another Shadow Records release.

Also NightQueen from 2015 haven’t actually heard that one, yet. But will have to track it down one day. It has only been released on CD and cassette-tape by Heathen Tribes and Jawbreaker Records.

From 2004 to 2015 all the members of Voodus were in a band called Jormundgand released the album Visions Of The Past, Which Has Not Yet Come To Be... (2014) also two demos. Haven't heard anything from Jormundgand but I'll check it out someday.

The sole reason for me getting into Voodus is that they are signed to Shadow Records I always been a huge fan of Marcus Tena's label from the late 90's. Since he resurrected the company from the shadows in 2016 with a reissue of Sorhin's masterpiece Apokalypsens Ängel (2000) there's been MANY amazing bands I've discovered.

When my top-12 list of 2018 was posted I didn’t own this Into The Wild LP and had only listened to it very sparsely because I wanted it physically in my hands. Now with better knowledge it should’ve been included. Would place it around number 8 or 9 maybe even higher only had it just for a couple of days so it's hard to say.

That’s the thing about posting best of year lists. One should probably wait sometime into the next year before doing them. At least I feel that but then again last year was exceptional amazing. Got two albums on the way that could affect my 2018 list and there's more records from last year I'm going to buy.

Also there's some records that I haven't listened to enough that people rave on about how great they were. Maybe I'll redo/update my best of 2018 list or it might be better just to do a version 2.0 later sometime during 2019. Anyway enough of the past.

Cannot recommend Into The Wild, Voodus and Shadow Records enough. I’m extremely interested what the future will look like for this brilliant band.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar