onsdag 21 mars 2018

More German Thrash Metal excellence!

This time with Destruction both classic albums “Infernal Overkill”(1985) on a transparent orange LP that comes with 2 posters the LP for “Eternal Devastation”(1986) is on a blood red transparent with a poster. Both reissued last year on High Roller Records I'm not sure how many copies was printed of these ones they're also in all sorts of different color variants if anyone knows the print numbers please drop a comment. Destruction started in 1982 these were the bands 2 first full length albums. Schmier (vocals and bass) and Mike (guitars) are the only original members remaining during their career drummers have come and gone over the years but on these 2 records Tommy Sandmann pounds the skins. 
Their first releases was the classic cult demo “Bestial Invasion of Hell”(1984) and the EP “Sentence of Death”(1984) then they were followed by “Infernal Overkill” and “Eternal Devastation” all originally released on the awesome German record label Steamhammer. Destruction stayed with them until 1990 and released besides those already mentioned in the post the EP "Madbutcher"(1986), "Release From Agony"(1987), the live album "Live Without Sense"(1989) and "Cracked Brain"(1990). I never actually listened to Destruction when I was in my "Death/Thrash Metal phase 1991-94” before I got completely lost in Black Metal for a few years but Destruction would be mentioned as an inspiration by many Death and Black bands in interviews. First time I ever heard a Destruction song wasn't until 1996 and it was actually a cover when Marduk did Total Desaster on their EP "Glorification". In 2000 when Schmier had rejoined the band after being fired in 1989 I was much more musically open minded and they released the good album “All Hell Breaks Loose”(2000) on Nuclear Blast. I was 20 years at the time and had a job so I could afford to spend much money CD’s (I didn’t like MP3 back then).

“Eternal Devastation” is in my opinion the best Destruction album it also have according to me their best song Curse The Gods. The German Thrash scene have their own version of the big 4 or "The Big Teutonic 4" Destruction is one of the bands the other ones are Kreator, Sodom and Tankard (I never liked them but then again I never given their early albums a chance). I would definitely put Tankard dead last in that group of bands then Destruction and Sodom are closer but Sodom I rank slightly higher and the best German Thrash band ever Kreator is my number 1 for sure. But if you’re interested in this excellent scene (preferably 1984-1990) these Destruction 2 albums are essential to have in the collection.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar