lördag 5 maj 2018

MY MARDUK EP COLLECTION

Have done an update of some of these ones that I've gotten on vinyl. Like the Panzer Division Live (2018) tank shaped EP, Hearse on 7" and Iron Dawn on a single sided 12" vinyl.

Marduk is one of my favorite bands of all time and this’s my Marduk EP collection, by far not the biggest, but I have every release I do believe. But clearly NOT every LP and CD print there’s of each and every one.

Recently Marduk released a digital single and a promo lyrics video for the song Werwolf from their upcoming Viktoria album that will be released on July 22nd. Really wish Werwolf was on any physical format but what can one do in this fucking digital streaming age...

In the order of release:

Fuck Me Jesus MCD 1994 and 12” LP 2017 both Osmose Productions
This is their 1991 demo with the same name that Osmose Productions released on CD in 1994. It's been reissued many times and I hear why. Because it's absolutely amazing! This was the 3rd Marduk release I ever bought after discovering the band in 1994. Although I have a lot of nostalgia for the recording I must say it's my favorite Marduk EP of all time.

Brilliant sounding and recorded with Dan Swanö. If I was to put Fuck Me Jesus among their albums this 12 min 40 sec masterpiece would be number 3 after Opus Nocturne and Those of the Unlight. It's that excellent!

Glorification MCD 1996 Osmose Productions
This basically has another mix of the song Glorification of the Black God from the Heaven Shall Burn... When We Are Gathered (1996) album. I don't notice anything mayor change from the album version although it's 10 seconds longer on the EP and 4 cover of Destruction, Bathory and 2 songs by Piledriver. The 1996 vinyl release also has a Venom cover.
It's a good EP even if the songs they chose to cover like The Return of Darkness & Evil and Total Desaster are so much better in their original versions. I don't think Marduk are bad at doing covers and if your a big Marduk fan like me I can recommend it. But for a more casual fan there's better EP's coming up.

Here’s No Peace MCD 1997 Shadow Records
This was recorded in December of 1991 with Dan Swanö. I have heard different reasons why the planned 7" vinyl wasn't released in the early 90's. Anyway this has an intro Here's No Peace and 2 songs Still Fucking Dead and Within The Abyss only 7.5 min but still all so brilliant. I prefer the Fuck Me Jesus release but these early recordings in Unisound Studios (aka. Hellspawn or Gorysound Studios) are so amazing.
Although I really like their great debut album Dark Endless (1992) I think that the 2 recordings before that one really captures Marduk's sound better. They sound much more raw, filthy and nasty in my ears. Needless to say this's a must have EP if you are into Black Metal!

Obedience MCD 2000 Blooddawn Productions
With a silver printed Marduk logo on the front of the jewel case. I have to admit when I got this at some record fair in my hometown 2000/01(?) it didn't blow me away but with time I really appreciate it. Obedience is a great song, but even better is the song Funeral Bitch and it's so much better on this EP then on the album La Grande Danse Macabre (2001). They should consider playing it more often in their live setlist I think, last time was in 2007 according to setlist.fm.
Then a cover Into The Crypts Of Rays by Celtic Frost the original song I think is one the best song ever by Celtic Frost and Marduk does an acceptable version of that classic Black Metal tune.

Slay The Nazarene vinyl 7” 2002 Warlord Records limited to 1500 copies
A sort of oddball release it has 2 live songs both appears on the 1998 album "Nightwing" Slay The Nazarene and Of Hell's Fire. It almost feels like a bootleg even if it sounds great and is listed as an official release at their official homepage, Discogs and at Metal Archives also that it's licensed by Blooddawn Productions (record label founded by Marduk).
Both songs are the best from the then 4 year old Nightwing album it doesn't say when or where they were recorded. I like it but this is only a necessary release for die-hard Marduk fans in my opinion.

Hearse vinyl 7"  Regain Records limited to 500 copies
The title track is a teaser for what became vocalist Legion and bassist B.War last album World Funeral (2003). It's a great song and the band also made a promo video for it. Only one more song on this MCD a cover of Phantasm by Possessed it's good.
Hearse is why I bought the MCD but with only 2 songs it feels kind of hard to recommend it to anyone that's not a huge Marduk fan.

Deathmarch Tour EP MCD 2004 Blooddawn Productions
This was sold exclusively on the Deathmarch tour 04/05. With new vocalist Arioch from Funeral Mist or Mortuus as he's known as in Marduk and returning member Devo Andersson on bass (previously guitar 1992-1994). It has a "alternative version" of the amazing song Steel Inferno that appears on the Plague Angel (2004) album.
An unreleased instrumental song called Tod Und Vernichtung which is German for "death and annihilation" in my opinion it's worth to get the EP just for that song. Also 2 rehearsal songs Throne Of Rats and The Hangman of Prague that I as a huge Marduk fan really like that they included, maybe not for everyone. Still I highly recommend this EP.

Iron Dawn vinyl 12" limited to 300 copies 2011 Blooddawn Productions/Century Media
It took Marduk 7 fucking years to release another EP. But when they finally did it was well worth the wait. I can definitely say that this is a brilliant release! 3 unreleased songs that as far I know only appears on this EP: Warschau 2: Headhunter Halfmoon; Wacht am Rhein: Drumbeats of Death and Prochorovka: Blood and Sunflowers.
All songs are played furiously fast and the war theme is very present on this release. Both songs Warschau 2 and Prochorovka was played on the Hatefest 2011 Tour and the first one of the two songs occasionally on the Serpent Sermon World Tour 2012. This is the best Marduk EP in my opinion since the Here’s No Peace released 14 years earlier. It should appeal to anyone that likes Marduk. 13 minutes well spent listening to this great EP.

Souls For Belial MCD 2012 Century Media/Blooddawn Productions
Released to subscribers of Sweden Rock Magazine #94 in April as a teaser for the then upcoming album Serpent Sermon (2012). The song Souls For Belial is great and there's a cover of Oil On Panel by the alternative country band Woven Hand a rather odd choice but I like it. Might not be for everyone this EP but in my opinion it's worth it just for like I wrote the odd cover.


Coram Satanae 7” vinyl 2012 Century Media/Blooddawn Productions
This singled sided 7 inch vinyl only have the Coram Satanae song but it's still worth every penny. Because it's one of my favorite songs Marduk have done since Mortuus joined and that says a lot because they have released so many great tracks in the last 14 years.
Coram Satanae also appears on one limited red vinyl version of Serpent Sermon (2012) as a red bonus 7" but also on two limited CD releases. Anyway if you don't have it on one of your albums this is the only way to have it and I promise you wont be disappointed.

Ancient Evil 7”vinyl 2015 Blooddawn Productions 500 copies hand numbered
Apart of the 4 "official bootleg series" that was released 2015. This one is a live recording from November of 1991. It has 4 songs Departure from the Mortals; Within The Abyss; Still Fucking Dead and The Black Goat (as it was called back then, later The Black...).
This sound probably amazing to everyone but remember that this's a bootleg recording I'm used to these kind of recordings with VHS trading of Black and Death Metal concerts in the 90's so the sound is far from perfect. I don't mind it but if you're unsure listen to it first. I really like this one!

The Sun Turns Black As Night 7”vinyl 2015 Blooddawn 500 copies hand numbered
Unlike the previous one this is recorded in May of 1992 and only have 2 songs Still Fucking Dead and Within the Abyss. Like I wrote about "Ancient Evil" this appeals to me but maybe not a casual Marduk fans. I'm very happy with it and wish for more releases like this from Marduk especially ones from 1994-95 would be amazing.

Panzer Division Live 7" vinyl 2018 Night Of The Vinyl Dead Records / Blooddawn Productions limited to 500 copies and hand numbered.

Finally got a "deal" on this unique shaped tank EP with the sleeve acting as background. Mostly bought it as a display piece and of course because I consider myself to be a Marduk collector I also wanted to own it for that reason.
The 2 songs Panzer Division Marduk and Baptism By Fire are old live recordings from Germany in 1999. Both have been released as early as 2002 on the Blackcrowned boxset, they appear on both the CD's and the VHS. Also on the standalone Blackcrowned  LP's from 2002 and the DVD from 2005 and the official bootleg live album World Panzer Battle 1999 from 2015. It would've been nice with some more uncommon songs or recording but the value of it is in the design that I proudly display at my home. Only for die hard Marduk fans!


There's a bunch of different versions/prints also reissues of almost all of these releases with all sorts of bonus tracks. For instance Obedience the North American release in 2001 had 3 live bonus songs. The reissues from 2007 and 2008 had a terrible cover of the great Rolling Stones song Paint It Black and a good version of Earth A.D. by Misfits both had terrible redone cover artwork. Not every release is like that but many.

I’ve previously ranked all the Marduk full length albums and live records but I’m not going to rank these EP’s it’s too hard. For casual Marduk fans I will say that the most essential releases of all of them are in my opinion Fuck Me Jesus and Here’s No Peace. If you want more I suggest Iron Dawn and Coram Satanae then probably the Deathmarch Tour EP. I like all the others but especially those with Mortuus and the early 90’s recordings.

As you see I only have 5 (well 7 now) on vinyl might try to get those ones that are available on vinyl someday. Some of them are also very expensive, even if I’m in no hurry. Praise hail Marduk!!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar