lördag 30 juni 2018

MARDUK - VIKTORIA (2018)


On a white vinyl limited to 200 copies a Century Media webstore exclusive release. This is the 14th album by Marduk since their start 28 years ago in Norrköping, Sweden in 1990. Have heard mixed opinions about the front cover for Viktoria. I really like it very different from their other albums but a good change.

Ever since this album was announced a few months ago I’ve had high expectations for it. This is the 6th album in 14 years that Morgan Håkansson, Devo Andersson and Mortuus have recorded in the Endarker Studio now. But there’s no need to change anything, they still sounds amazing. The band performance is brilliant and Mortuus is outstanding as always.

The 2 songs that was released as teasers Equestrian Bloodlust and the one people like to misspell... Werwolf which is German for Werewolf. If you’re a World War II history fanatic like me I suggest reading about Werwolf.

But I’m getting off-topic both songs was great hints of what to be expected from this album. Although there’s better songs then those two on Viktoria in my opinion like the title track Viktoria; June 44: Tiger I: The Last Fallen; The Devil's Song or Narva.

Viktoria with its 9 songs is only approx 33 minutes long, that's about 20 min shorter then the previous Frontschwein (2015) album. No record during the "Mortuus era" has been shorter then this. The only shorter Marduk records are the debut Dark Endless from 1992 and the 1999 album Panzer Division Marduk who both clocks in at approx 30 minutes. But albums that's as good as the ones mentioned doesn't need to be longer. I feel Marduk used the time well and I repeat what I wrote about Hekatomb I rather have a short superb experience then a long subpar one.

It’s way too early for me to rank and have a real perspective on Viktoria among their 13 other studio albums. Even if it's very new I will still say that I like this one better then the previous Frontschwein (2015) album.

Viktoria is definitely in my top-3 of 2018 so far maybe even at number 2. Only a miracle could dethrone Hekatomb by Funeral Mist of the number 1 spot.

When I summarize this year we’ll see where it lands among other great releases. Also if Daniel "Arioch/Mortuus" Rostén will have been involved in the absolute two best albums of 2018. A year that's already established as one of the best years in the extreme Metal genre since the 90's. At least according too me.

Before we end I would like to make a rant about re-sellers on Discogs sure it's a great site where one can get hard to find albums. Sometime even also find a really good deal. But.. When Viktoria was released on the 22nd already a bunch of scum re-seller fucks are there trying to make money of the limited versions of the album.

I bought mine for 22 Euro over at the Century Media webstore. There's 10 different versions, yes TEN, of this LP in white, red, transparent, picture disc camouflage, sun yellow, dark green, silver, gold, transparent red and standard black  Of course many are limited to 100-500 copies.

Remember how much I paid for mine 22 Euro. Because over at Discogs these fuckers want 40-65 Euro for the ones they are selling... Holy fuck how annoyed I am about this. Of course this isn't a new phenomena.

But what really grinds my gears are that these aren't music fans nor are they Marduk fans just re-seller assholes that keeps Marduk fans away from the records.

My suggestion is to boycott ALL of those sellers at Discogs that keeps doing this kind of business. Can't understand why the fuck they go through the trouble buying something very limited and just to resell it. There's 23 copies for sale right now of the limited white, red, camouflage, silver etc. haven't checked eBay and Amazon but I bet you can find it there also.

I don't know how many different versions the new Immortal album Northern Chaos Gods will have that will be released next Friday. But something I do know this will happen with Northern Chaos Gods and over and over and again, again and again...

Anyway enough ranting and as always! PRAISE HAIL MARDUK!!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar