lördag 9 juni 2018

MARDUK - WORMWOOD (2009)

Vinyl limited to 700 copies and released on the Marduk founded label Blooddawn Productions in 2009. They also released Wormwood on a picture disc vinyl limited to 500 copies and also the "deluxe red vinyl" limited to 500 copies with a 32-page booklet, something my version don't have.
I also own the digipack CD release, that came with what I'm guessing is the same 32-paged booklet just smaller, so I don't mind it not being included in my version of the vinyl.

Wormwood was the 3rd Marduk studio album since Daniel "Mortuus" Rostén from Funeral Mist joined and Devo Andersson returned. Just like their 2 previous records they recorded it at the Endarker Studio that's owned by Devo and it sounds absolutely amazing.

The Wormwood album is great throughout but some of my highlight songs are Nowhere No - One Nothing; Into Utter Madness; Whorecrown; To Redirect Perdition; Phosphorous Redeemer (lyric written by Mika Hakola of Ofermod; Nefandus etc). Other amazing songs like Funeral Dawn; Unclosing The Curse and Chorus Of Cracking Necks all reminds me of Funeral Mist but also in some other songs I can hear that it's not surprising consider their vocalist Mortuus is also a great songwriter.

I almost named every song on this great album right there. It’s another brilliant album despite my ranking of Wormwood about a year ago. "only" at number 8 of 13 according to that it's my least favorite album of the “Mortuus era”, but I probably overrated the number 7 album Frontschwein (2015) a bit when I made the list.

You’ve got to know that Marduk is one of my favorite bands of all time! In my entire collection I own almost 50 releases by them on vinyl, CD and DVD. Of course there's different versions of the same album for instance of Plague Angel I got the promo CD, digipack CD and vinyl. I've been listening to Marduk since 1994 so I know their discography inside out.

And it was very close between Wormwood; Dark Endless (1992); Heaven Shall Burn... When We Are Gathered (1996) when I posted the list. It's hard to make album lists especially with a band like Marduk.

With a discography that's so very extensive and amazing it's would be much easier with a band like for example Emperor that's not even close to 13 unique studio albums in their discography. I still stand by most my choices in my ranking of Marduk's 13 studio albums but some I do regret but it was most for fun and I could change my mind like I wrote about a year ago. Well not my 2 favorites and 2 least favorite don't want to use the word bad because they certainly are no such thing about them!

In February 2009 Mortuus or Arioch as he's known as in Funeral Mist had released what I consider his/their best album with Maranatha. It's actually my 3rd favorite Black Metal album of all time and that's something I stand behind to this day very strong.

Actually Century Media will reissue Wormwood and also Rom 5:12 (2007) sometime during 2018 it's available to preorder at some online stores (without any release date). But they're not available over at CM Distro the Century Media webstore when I'm writing this. Guessing that they await the release of the new Marduk album Viktoria (June 22nd) before releasing the reissues of those two.

Until then listen to this great work of art and always praise hail Marduk!!

1 kommentar: