lördag 16 juni 2018

MARDUK - WORLD FUNERAL (2003)

On a first print vinyl limited to 1500 copies released on Blooddawn Productions in 2003. World Funeral became the last album to feature longtime bassist B. War who played with Marduk since 1992. It also was vocalist Legion final album with the band after joining in 1995.

It also became the last Marduk album to be recorded with Peter Tägtgren in his The Abyss Studio where they recorded 5 albums. This was Emil Dragutinović (The Legion and Nominon) first record with the band as a drummer after joining the band in 2002. Replacing my favorite Marduk drummer of all time Fredrik Andersson who played in the band for 9 years.

Despite me ranking this their 11th best album (3rd to last) it’s still an amazing record, maybe their most underrated record in my opinion. It’s much better then the previous La Grande Danse Macabre (2001) in my opinion. There’s so many great songs on this one With Satan And Victorious Weapons; Bleached Bones; Hearse; To The Death’s Head True; Blessed Unholy; Night Of The Long Knives and probably my favorite song on the album Cloven Hoof.

Another one worth mentioning is the instrumental Blackcrowned which is a rendition of the song The Queen's Funeral March (Procession) by Henry Purcell. That’s featured in one of my top-10 movies of all time A Clockwork Orange (1971) by director genius Stanley Kubrick.

They also use a sample from the horror movie Phantasm (1978) for the song Hearse with the opening part saying "the funeral is about to begin, sir!". Also on With Satan And Victorious Weapons they use a sample from the movie this time The Name Of The Rose (1986). 

Although I really like the song World Funeral it wouldn’t be my choice for a promo video like they did. They had also done a video for the song Hearse that was also the title track of an EP with the same name that Marduk released in 2003 before the album. The cover artwork to World Funeral is one of the more boring ones in their discography, it's not terrible but not very interesting either.

I know Legion got criticized about his capabilities as vocalist both by fans and media especially at live performances. I think he did a great job both onstage and on records. However it was time for a change in Marduk. 

Even if Panzer Division Marduk (1999) was brilliant in every way. Both albums Nightwing (1998) and La Grande Danse Macabre (2001) although not bad, they were my least favorite albums. Even if I just named a bunch of amazing songs of the great World Funeral album they needed new blood. Both in the band and a new studio/producer to record with.

They certainly got that with Arioch/Mortuus from Funeral Mist on vocals and returning bassist Devo Andersson’s Endarker Studio. But I will always appreciate what Legion and B. War provided to Marduk during many great years of working in the band and I highly recommend the World Funeral album.

And as always praise hail Marduk!!

A 2003 promo ad for the album I scanned from a magazine
I've been subscribed to since 1994.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar